Content of this article:
Advantages and disadvantages
Due to its specific properties, the panels can be used in places where other materials will suffer. For example, in the bathroom or in the toilet plastic panels will fall just in time. Or, if you need to do repairs, but there is no money for natural materials, plastic can also be useful.
PVC panels look good everywhere
But so that it looks good, does not move away from the walls and complements the interior, instead of completely breaking it, you need to approach the choice and location in the house wisely and consistently.
Before we figure out what kind of plastic panels there are, where they should be placed, and where it is better to use another material, let's first look at their basic properties.
The following are distinguished from useful:
- Low price. This is one of the main advantages - plastic is a cheap material, which can still look good, stylish, interesting.
- Ease. Typically, the materials for wall decoration are quite heavy - especially when it comes to tiles or panels made of natural wood - but the plastic lacks this disadvantage. Even a child can lift one element, therefore, there will be no problems with the delivery and fastening to the walls.
- Moisture resistance. One of the materials completely insensitive to moisture. Even the joints between the panels can be covered so that no water gets into them.
This material has a low price.
- Ease of care. Plastic does not like aggressive chemicals, but on the other hand, dust or dirt or various kitchen liquids practically do not stick to it. If you do not run, you can simply wash off all the dirt with a cloth dipped in soapy water.
- Resistance to temperature changes. Only the cheapest plastic melts, but they usually do nothing in construction. Although expensive PVC panels, of course, should not be placed directly above the gas stove or fireplace.
- Soundproofing. Despite the fact that PVC is usually thin, it is a good sound deafening. Especially if between him and the wall to put a thin layer of insulation.
- Insensitive to biological stimuli. Plastic is not moldy, and the distance from it to the wall is usually so small that parasites cannot start there, even if we are talking about cockroaches, and not about rats.
- Diversity. Plastic, like any synthetic material, is well painted. Therefore, all kinds of panels can be found on the market - monochrome and multi-color, patterned and monochromatic, with or without drawings. They can also be made with different textures - waves, imitation of wood or stone.
- Easy installation. The structural elements are usually equipped with the simplest device for the thorn-lock type coupling. Even a person who in his life did not undertake repairs could compose them with each other. No specific skills are required.
The material doesn’t sound well
But, of course, no material can have useful properties alone.
There are also unpleasant:
- Lack of resistance to mechanical damage. Plastic is a thin, lightweight material that is easily damaged. You can even scratch it with a very stiff brush, and a crack will surely remain from an impact accidentally and casually. Therefore, the use and transportation must be careful.
- High probability of buying low-quality goods. With a natural stone it is difficult to make a mess of something, as well as with a tree - they will not cost less if you break production technology. But plastic - will be, because there is always a chance to buy panels that melt, it will be very unpleasant to smell or quickly deformed.
- Odor. In spite of everything, even expensive PVC, made by all the rules, at first emits a smell that can seem unpleasant.
- Difficulties with fitting into the interior. Natural materials one way or another can be adapted to any style. But PVC is suitable only for those who are democratic enough to make synthetics - all these are modern styles.
In fact, installing plastic panels makes sense in rooms where strength is less important than resistance to changes in temperature and humidity.It is interesting to note that, despite the stability, plastic cannot be placed in rooms where humidity rises higher than seventy percent, otherwise it will quickly fail. Return to menu return to menu
Kinds of panels
The material of all the panels is the same - PVC, it is polyvinyl chloride. But this does not mean that they are all the same. There are important nuances - from shape to thickness.
Resistant to temperature extremesreturn to menu ↑
Typically, the structural elements are rectangular - despite the flexibility of plastic, no one sees the point in giving them a more intricate look. But even rectangles are different:
- Tile. Such panels reach a length of thirty centimeters to a meter and their sides are usually equal - as a result, small or not too squares are obtained. You can use them with no less beautiful result than real ceramic granite tiles. If you take different colors, you can make a patterned wall - stripes, a checkerboard, a simple alternation of colors or even simple drawings. Resistance to the result, however, will be much less than that of a real tile - hitting the plastic with your elbows or leaning something heavy against it.
Plastic is not moldy
- "Clapboard". These panels reach a length of one and a half to two and a half meters, reach up to thirty centimeters in width and easily cover the entire space from the ceiling to the floor. At the same time, they look very much like real wooden wall paneling - especially if you apply a special coating with the top layer, imitating wood, less fragile than tiles, allow to affect the perception of the room, increase or decrease it.
- Sheets. The height of such sheets as those made under the wall paneling, but the width reaches a meter. As a result, wide plates are obtained - and in order to cover the wall in the room they do not need too much.
The choice depends on how much effort you are willing to invest in repairs (fixing sheets is much easier than tiles) and on what visual results you want to get.
The design of the living room proposed materialBoard"Lining" is well combined with wallpaper, if you select items not longer than a meter. Return to the menu
The presence of the seam and surface finish
In addition to the shape of the panel, they are also distinguished by the presence of a seam:
- Seamless. Unfortunately, they do not fully justify their name - even the thinnest panels are not able to merge with each other so that the joint is not visible at all. But still, they are most zealous - the seams, even if they are quite noticeable, do not stand out on the common canvas, dirt or dust is not clogged in them, and the wall seems to be fairly uniform.
- With seams. All panels have seams, but these are specially highlighted so as to become a kind of decoration. To understand how it looks, just look at the wooden paneling - there, at the junction of the two elements, made a special recess, because of which the final wall seems striped. It looks stylish in its own way, but only if there is no pattern or pattern.
Beautiful bedroom in bright colors
Much more on the final impression affects the way in which the surface is trimmed:
- Varnishing. When the panel is ready, it is covered on top with a colorless varnish, which provides it with greater resistance to all external influences. Gives on a result a brilliant glossy surface which slightly glisten in the light. Her colors are saturated and bright. The material is immediately obvious that this is plastic.
- Lamination. When the panel is ready, it is covered with a special film, which not only protects it from the influence of the environment, but also gives it a certain color. The result is a matte surface that does not shine and looks quite restrained. This method is used when it is necessary to imitate natural material with the help of plastic.
Classic KitchenNo way of finishing is perfect. The varnish peels off over time, and with constant contact with something, it is wiped off, losing its glossy shine. The film also peels off over time, can also wipe, and even under it can get water and then it will swell up.
But if the panel is rubbed, it will be enough just to re-paint it or re-glue the film - as a result, it will look updated.BoardTo better understand what the room will look like in the end, draw it or use special design programs.
It will be interesting to you:
MDF panels for the kitchen - 250+ (Photo) Finishing optionsMDF panels for the kitchen - 250+ (Photo) Finishing options
Wall panels (MDF): +165 Photo examples of modern and stylish design
How to choose front panels for a country house? 230+ (Photo) Finishes outside (stone, brick, wood)return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
Technical nuances of choice
To choose panels that will serve for a long time, you need to pay attention to their technical characteristics and overall quality:
- Thickness. Of course, no plastic panel will be very thick - its purpose does not require it. But still more or less durable products start from two and a half millimeters. Everything that is thinner, belongs to a segment with a low price and cracks not so much from a blow - it will be enough just to fail to lean.
- The number of ribs. The stiffness of the panel is provided by special ribs that support the main surface. The more of them - the less likely that plastic will crack from careless movement. But, the more edges, the more expensive the product.
Stylish design of the living room
- Appearance. Not so much in the context of compatibility with the interior, but in the context of obvious quality problems. The color of the panel should be uniform, it should not be cracked, chipped, minor defects. No colored spots, no swollen areas or shallow depressions. All the little things of this kind may indicate that the panel will very quickly lose its attractive appearance.
- Weight. The stronger the panel, the more it weighs, this is logical, since a lot of additional stiffeners are added. To understand which of the two equally sized panels will be stronger, you just need to lift them at the same time.
- Mutual compatibility. Plastic is always the same in one batch - it was manufactured under the same conditions, packed and stored under the same conditions. Therefore, you should buy products from the same batch. The same article, but from another party, may be slightly different in color.
There is a wide variety of panels.
- Certificates. A serious seller is always able to provide documents for the goods - provided that they exist in nature. They indicate the manufacturer, materials, warranty period, stamped for compliance with GOST. If there is no quality certificate, it is better to refuse to purchase - such plastic is unreliable and may be harmful to health.
Delivery is also indirectly a choice. When the panels are selected and purchased, it is better to deliver them home using the services of the same seller - then, if something happens to them on the way, it will not be your responsibility.
The material is very easy to install.
But if the seller does not provide such a service and you need to drive it yourself - use a taxi. In public transport, fragile plastic is likely to damage.return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
Long service life is not everything. If the panels are ugly, do not fit into the interior, please, then their reliability will be more annoying. There are several important factors to consider.return to menu ↑
Different rooms require different handling of plastic.
First of all - the bathroom. The most frequent place to use plastic panels. It is caused by the fact that they are cheaper than tile, but at the same time they withstand humidity very well. Designer delights in the bathroom do not take root at all, practicality prevails over the desire to make expensive and stylish, because plastic can be seen often.To make it look good, you need to combine it with the color of the bath (if it is not white - then any color will do), with the color of accessories, such as a rug and curtain. Most often, they use shades of green, warm light shades like beige and peach, blue, or drawings that somehow echo the theme of water treatments.
Then - toilet. Not everyone has enough inspiration to choose a style for the toilet, and plastic is cheap, keeps moisture and can hide pipes, for which wallpaper, for example, is useless. The colors here are the same as in the rest of the house, or as neutral as possible.
The third most popular place for plastic panels - the kitchen. In conditions of constant changes in temperature and humidity, not every material will withstand. Tiles are expensive, glass and metal too, and plastic copes with loads. In the kitchen, it can be combined with wallpaper or all with the same tile, which is to finish a small work area.
Colors - in combination with the rest of the interior.
Plastic panels are rarely used in the living room and bedroom, because even to paint the walls with paint is simpler, cheaper and more suited to the very concept of living rooms. If the idea seems interesting to you, you can always combine plastic with another material, and you can fake it yourself under a tree or a stone. In combination with the wallpaper, it will look good. Best of all it will look in the American style and other democratic styles.
Classic bathroomMore PVC can be used on the balcony - especially if you are going to use it, as another pantry. PVC is well resistant to moisture and can last for about a decade even if you do not like to close the windows on the balcony. Return to the menu
Having decided which room to place the panels in, you can move on to other issues: how to arrange them and what color to paint.
Green panels in the interior of the kitchen
- Horizontal layout. Suitable for high narrow rooms that seem too small. Horizontal stripes on the walls will help to visually increase the space, make the ceiling lower, and the walls seem to be wider.
- Vertical layout. Suitable for low wide rooms that seem very flattened. Vertical stripes on the walls will help to visually reduce and extend the space in height, so that it will appear larger.
- Mosaic layout. It is absolutely neutral in its essence, but depending on the pattern used it can affect the surrounding space in different ways.
Horizontal material arrangement
It is also important to consider how the color of the panels will match the color of the floor and ceiling.
- Light walls, dark floor and ceiling. It is good to combine with a horizontal arrangement as this combination is suitable for too narrow and high rooms. The dark ceiling as if presses the height, makes the room lower, and the floor reinforces this impression.
- Light walls, dark floor, light ceiling. Good for low, narrow rooms. Makes them visually wider, increases the space and seems to stretch it up.
- Light walls, light floor, dark ceiling. This combination looks a bit strange, but it can give a strange effect - it will seem that the room is tapering slightly towards the ceiling.
Minimalistic room style
- Dark walls, dark floor and ceiling. A very controversial decision, suitable only for pompous pretentious styles and really large rooms, because it makes them visually noticeably smaller. In a small room it is better not to do it, because the feeling will be that the walls squeeze anyone who has entered.
- Dark walls, light floor and ceiling. Such a room as if pulled up. Good for wide, with a small height.
- Dark walls, light ceiling, dark floor. This room is pulled up even stronger. If you arrange so narrow room, the feeling of the incoming will be as if he fell into a well.
In addition to the combination, the color shade also matters:
- Light warm colors. They give a room a cosiness, but make it visually a little smaller. Well suited for classic romantic styles.
- Light cold shades. Ideal solution for loft and minimalism - which, being modern, quite accept plastic. It makes the room more spacious, gives it a buzz, but also some cold.
- Dark warm shades. It is quite acceptable, comfortable, slightly reduce the room. Well combined with wooden furniture.
- Dark cold shades. Valid only in some styles, and then - serious, usually requiring natural materials and restraint. Plastic does not fit well with them.
Use PVC for walls and ceilings
And, of course, from a purely practical point of view, light colors are harder to wash, they are more visible in any contamination, with time they may darken or turn yellow.
On dark colors, dirt is seen worse, but they can fade, especially if they are located in the sun.
Particular attention should be paid to the joints: if fat is driven into them, it will not benefit the whole structure. To clean them, you can use a rubber spatula.
Bright and beautiful entrance hallreturn to menu ↑